Credit for Military Training

If you are an active service member or veteran, you may qualify for credit towards your program of study.

CNM will grant credit if you attended military service schools which have been evaluated by the Academic Review Tack Force of the American Council on Education (ACE) as well as select military schools that have undergone institutional reviews in order to award additional credits not recommended by ACE.

In order to receive credit, you must:

  • Be accepted as a student at CNM and have a declared program of study.
  • Request your official Joint Service Transcript (JST), if you are or were a member of the Army, Coast Guard, Navy, Marine Corps, or Reserves and have them submitted directly to the CNM Grad & Eval Office.
    • Members of the Air Force should request their official transcripts from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) and have them submitted directly to the CNM Grad & Eval Office for review of traditional transfer credit. Additional credit may be earned through other CPL Assessment methods and evaluations.
  • Check below to see if your Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) or training has already been reviewed.

CNM uses the American Council on Education's (ACE) Military Guide for evaluating training documented on the JST to determine equivalency to CNM courses for all branches of the military, except the Air Force.

Credit that transfers from CCAF can be found on the Transfer Evaluation System (TES). Additional evaluation of transfer credit may be requested if not already evaluated for transfer.

Reviewed Military Training and Occupations

Some military training and occupations have been reviewed for equivalency to specific CNM programs or courses. If your occupation or training is listed and the credit awarded can be applied to your program of study, follow the process below.

To apply for credit based on your evaluated military occupation or training:

  1. Review the list of Military Trainings and Occupations that have already been found equivalent to CNM Courses to see if any of them match your military experience.
  2. Verify that the courses awarded for your training or occupation are required for your program.
  3. Print the Credit for Military Training and Occupations Form and fill out your personal information.
  4. Pay the non-refundable processing fee of $25.00 at the Cashier's Office or online at the CNM CPL Store
  5. Submit the completed Credit for Military Training and Occupations form and proof of payment to the Records Office.

Request an Evaluation of Your Military Training

If your MOS or CNM program is not listed above, you may submit a request an evaluation of your military training through the Records Office. Simply print the Request for Evaluation of Career/Technical Education Coursework form and follow the directions.

Please make sure that you have already submitted your JST or CCAF transcripts to CNM before making the request.

Funding for Standardized Exams

Active duty service members and veterans interested in taking a standardized exam may be eligible for reimbursement of the associated costs.

To find out more about funding eligibility, please visit the Veterans Resource Center's Licensing and Certification website.

To see which exams are offered through CNM or to find out what scores must be earned in order to receive credit, please visit the Credit for Standardized Exams web-page.

Requesting Records from the Military

Joint Services Transcript (JST)

Members of the Army, Coast Guard, Navy, and Marine Corps can request a Joint Services Transcript (JST) and submit it to CNM; this includes active duty, retired, veteran, and reserves.

The Joint Services Transcript Program will provide a transcript for any service school, MOS, rating, NEC, or CLEP and DSST Examination listed that has been passed and carries American Council on Education (ACE) credit recommendations. Data can go back as far as 1976 but data older than 1994 may be missing or incomplete. It is recommended that you review the JST online for accuracy before submitting to CNM for credit review.

Air Force members can request an official transcript from the Community College of the Air Force (CCAF) and submit it to CNM to receive traditional transfer credit.

To see which CLEP or DSST exams and scores are accepted by CNM, please see the Credit for Standardized Exams website.