International Students Need to Know

International Students are individuals studying at CNM full-time in degree or exchange programs in legal student immigration status (F-1 or M-1 Student status).

Scholarships for International Students

At this time, CNM does not offer financial aid for international students; however,  CNM offers some scholarships, and there are organizations that offer scholarships, fellowships and grants for students who want to study in the United States. We encourage you to search for private and government sponsors for educational expenses.

Working on a Student Visa

As an international student, you are able to:

  • Work on-campus
  • Work off-campus in cases of severe, unforeseen economic necessity
  • Work for certain international organizations

There are very few on-campus jobs available to international students, so please do not count on this source of income. Each of the above categories requires you to maintain valid F-1 status. A student who is out of status is not eligible for benefits, including employment. Each employment category has specific eligibility requirements, and most are also divided into subcategories, so be sure to work with your DSO if you’d like to pursue employment opportunities.

Job postings for on-campus positions can be found:

1. Bookstore

2. All other CNM job postings

Just remember that you’ll only be allowed to work 20 hours per week or fewer during the Fall and Spring semesters. You may work full-time during summer semesters.

Global Education Dates

Plan ahead for your studies at CNM.

Fall 2020

Application Open Now
Application Deadline June 1
Deadline for Submitting I-20 Supporting Documents June 30
First Day for New Student Registration June 15
Registration Deadline August 14
Payment Deadline Following after registration
International New Student Orientation August 27
Semester Begins August 31

Spring 2021

Application Open September 1
Application Deadline November 1
Deadline for Submitting I-20 Supporting Documents November 30
First Day for New Student Registration October 26
Registration Deadline December 11
Payment Deadline Following after registration
International New Student Orientation January 7
Semester Begins January 1

Pre-Arrival Planning

Before You Leave

Make copies of important documents, including visa application documents, and leave them with a family member or friend. Email a set to yourself and pack originals and a copy in your carry-on luggage.


Start reading news stories and articles about current events in your home country and in the US. People you meet will be interested in talking politics with you and it will help you get a feel for the kind of environment you'll be dropping yourself into. You might also find it helpful to purchase a travel guidebook. Popular brands include the Lonely Planet and Frommer's guidebook series.

Mobile Phone / SIM Card

Check with your carrier to see what your options are. Do you already have a decent international plan? Does your phone need to be unlocked to accept a sim card? Need a new sim card? Here's one option:

Visa Compliance

Student Responsibilities

  • Keep your passport valid for at least 6 months into the future
  • Enroll in a full class schedule (12 hours or more)
  • Make progress towards your degree
  • Meet with your DSO before traveling outside of the US
  • Complete an income tax return each year
  • Do not accept employment or internships without prior approval from your DSO. If approved, work no more than 20 hours per week during the Fall and Spring terms
  • Ask for an I-20 extension BEFORE the current form expires

Things you must report to your DSO within 10 days

  • Change of address
  • Change of legal name
  • Early graduation
  • Change of academic major or minor
  • Change of financial sponsor
  • Any other change of information on the I-20

If you travel outside of the US

Make sure that your carry the following:

  • Your I-20 with a travel signature* dated within the last 12 months
  • Your valid passport
  • Your valid visa
  • Proof of enrollment
  • If you changed status while in the US, a change of status approval notice (I-797)

* To obtain travel signatures on your I-20, bring the document to your DSO at least 1 week before you depart.


  • Check to see if the countries you are visiting require a travel visa
  • If your US visa has expired, you will need to apply for a new visa at a US Consulate or Embassy abroad. Plan accordingly
  • Make sure there are no holds on your student account


Are you ready for an internship, a practicum, or other study-related work? Download the CPT Reporting and OPT Reporting forms and make an appointment with your DSO.