Student Loan Deferment

Students can request to start repaying on a student loan at a later date from their lender.

How to Request a Student Loan Deferment

  • Contact your student loan servicer and request an 'in-school' deferment form.

If you are unsure who your servicer is, log in to the National Student Loan Data System (you will need your FAFSA PIN).

If the loan is a private/alternative loan, the student will need to refer to their promissory note and contact the lender to determine if there are any deferment options available.

  • Student needs to be enrolled in a minimum of six (6) credit hours for the term or the credit hours required by their lender.

Classes with a grade mode of Audit are not part of the required six (6) credit hours.

For Continuing Students, CNM will Notify the Following Agencies of Enrollment Status

  • The National Student Clearinghouse (NSC) of their enrollment. Then NSC notifies to the National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS).
  • If a quicker notice to your loan servicer is needed, the student can take the loan deferment form to the CNM Records office for processing.